Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Belinda deserves so much better...

I was just reading the Globe and Mail comments about Belinda Stronach's retirement from politics, and I was appalled at how rude and unfair people were being to her. To call her a screaming crying baby, or make comments about hair flips and shoe tapping is just pathetic. I don't care if people find my reaction to be too great; when I read garbage like this, it just makes my skin crawl.

Again, this is the type of rubbish that no man would have to put up with, and its something that no woman deserves. I have always been a passionate advocate for women in public life and I have always made a point to highlight such double standards. Belinda Stronach had money...so what! That doesn't mean that she somehow is unworthy of respect just because of her background. Any person who decides to give a portion of their life to public service deserves our respect. If you didn't like her politics, thats one thing, but people should take a look in the mirror before they make such personal attacks.

All the times I spoke to Ms Stronach, I found her to be impressive and intelligent, very down to earth and pleasant to talk with. People trolling the internet looking for outlets to make their pathetic, vitriolic remarks should be ashamed of themselves on this one. Frankly they should find something more productive to do than spout garbage that only makes them look like infantile morons. I always knew that there was no limit to how low people can go when it comes to personal attacks, but in this case, I find these commenters downright offensive and frankly pathetic.

Its no wonder we have such inequities between men and women in politics, and in so many other areas; its crap like this that perpetuates that disparity. Let us try and raise the bar people, mind you at this rate, people have dug themselves so far down into the mud, it could take a century to pull political discourse back into the realm of civility.

No comments:

Post a Comment