Wednesday, April 4, 2007

What public school charges tuition fees?

So I'm reading that Harper's 'fabulous' new budget is giving tax breaks for those who send their kids to private schools? The government claims that they are not unfairly supporting private schools over public ones, because this tax break is on scholarships that students receive, whether they attend private or public schools.

My question is: what public school would require a scholarship to attend? I remember paying a small fee to take woodwork class in grade 10, but we certainly didn't have tuition fees. Only private schools have tuition fees (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Seems like one of those things that the media should be talking about... I would never begrudge someone going to private school, but that is a choice that families make. Those scholarship tax breaks are only helping those wealthy enough to send their children to private schools in the first place. And yes I know that in rare cases, scholarships enable a child from a less wealthy background to attend private school, but this is rarely the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment